The candidate must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible to participate in the Professional Performance Ladder:
- Current registered nurse employee working in a full-time or part-time (0.6 FTE or higher) position, a minimum of 1750 hours, hours actually worked, not paid for, during the 12 months previous to the date of application. The hour threshold in this paragraph is pro-rated for part-time employees based on actual hours worked, not on base FTE.
- Performance rating of 3.0 or higher in all categories of the candidate’s most recent annual staff performance review form.
- Have achieved and maintained national certification related to area of clinical practice.
Has maintained a positive work record including no suspensions for the three years prior to application. Note: An employee can be deemed ineligible for consideration if they have received a verbal counseling in the three years prior to application. Eligibility will be at the discretion of the Chief Nursing Executive (CNE) based on individual case-by-case review. Each of these cases will be discussed with SEIU. The final determination of eligibility will be influenced by:
- How old the discipline is,
- The number of disciplines,
- The severity of the offense, and
- The relevance of the discipline to competent and safe clinical practice.
- Working at Alameda Health System for a minimum of 2 years as a registered nurse.
Note: The employee must maintain these requirements after the application/portfolio is submitted to remain eligible for consideration and compensation.
Guidelines for Application
- The RN candidate will begin by completing the Application Form during the defined two-month application period and submitting it to the Professional Development Council (PDC). The candidate’s portfolio is submitted to the PDC within 12 months of submitting the Application.
Within 2 months of submitting the Application Form (including approval by the Nurse Manager/Director for any project), the candidate is strongly encouraged to meet with the Clinical Education Department staff to:
- Discuss the application process
- Have questions answered
- Receive guidance/support in determining exemplar topics
- Review progress of the portfolio prior to submission to suggest enhancements
- Discuss Nurse Manager/Director approved projects.
- Applications are available on the Alameda Health System intranet or from the Clinical Education Department.
- The application/portfolio must be typed. Electronic submission of the completed application is encouraged and is submitted to the Chief Nursing Executive Administrative Assistant.
- The candidate is responsible for ensuring that the submitted application/portfolio is complete and accurate.
The candidate should make and retain a copy of the portfolio for their records prior to submission.